2018年3月29日 星期四

You use Facebook? or Facebook uses you?

Despite Facebook's popularity is dropping nowadays, especially among the younger generations like teens, it is still the biggest social media platform. Many people clock in wherever and whenever they do something.

Posting photos in FB was once seen as a very "in" thing to do. However, despite I also have a FB account but I have never done that. In my first post in this blog I have made it very clear that I do not want to leave any trace of my personal particular in the Internet. It is not difficult to understand why I have never put any photo in my FB account. In fact, the only purpose setting an account in FB was to re-connect with those long lost acquaintance if they happen to find my account. Indeed that is the very first objective that Zuckerberg found FB.

Don't know since when FB became what it is now. It turned into a marketing platform more than is a social media. Not only there are corporate accounts but even many of the individual accounts are catered for marketing on the account holders themselves or the merchandises behind them. So not only I am not active in checking my account nor do I care what happened on the other accounts. I am not a fan of FB at all.

The other reason I don't like FB is because FB has gradually became a greedy company which exploits the big data it has. The big data that has been developing by the mass account holders whom posting text or images in their own accounts. These posts and images form a gold mine because it is exactly the big data that is most sought after nowadays. FB naturally taps on this gold mine and exploits most of out it. However, actually these posts and images are the properties of all the account holders. FB does not own them but it is making huge profit from manipulating the big data deriving from these posts and images. So when people think they are using FB but do they really think who is using who?

I remember someone has once said the best business model is the one with light asset, no inventory and no own production because that means no need to lock up capital on the investment on the assets, no need to worry about the depreciation on inventory and no need to worry about the production capacity. FB just provide a platform for its account holders to post the content which FB is not producing nor is there any inventory that FB needs to hold so FB is exactly this type of business model so despite it is not a good place for me but perhaps it could be a good investment.




沒有留言:

張貼留言

注意:只有此網誌的成員可以留言。